Skip to main content

Day 7 - Today was a good day.

I’ve stopped crying. I’m not sure for how long, but today was a good day. It was a good day in the sense that we acted normally in this totally bizarre and odd new normal. How many times have we said that this year? New normal? So many phrases that seemed trite and strange are used regularly to describe any crazy situation we find ourselves in.

We’d finally been able to tell our son that his dad has cancer. It made it real. He cried. He was shocked. Our 30 year old son who adores and admires his dad always thought he was invincible, but it’s freaked him out beyond belief. I guess it’s the same for everyone when told of something that happens to other people. We’re always shocked and terrified when we hear something we never expect to hear. He’s a great dad and he’s a lucky son to have him. He knows this.

We haven’t got to the stage of treatment yet. We have a vague idea of what to expect. We have no idea of the grade or stage. Oncologists haven’t been appointed although the consultant has referred us to one, I’m not convinced it’s the one for us. She’s on holiday for a week so no appointment has been made. We’re left floating in the wind. Nice eh? Now it’s research, cancer fighting foods and supplements. 

We also need some sort of normality now.  We need to take a bit of control back. 

Today, we went to The River Summer House at Oakley Court. L (our boy) wanted to take us as a treat.  Our first real outing in a year! Mike and I, had been chatting about taking the odd day off, before to spend time together so this was a great first day out although tinged with a bit of despair, but my handsome husband made me laugh as he normally does and for a few hours we were normal. 

We sat in a stunning Yurt in comfy sofas, and along with other guests, served by young, hip staff with a vitality for living. The sides were up so we could view the Thames and the day trippers passing by. Walkers on the other bank stopped and pointed. Probably wondering what event was going on. Running along side the bank were small docks, each with their sofas and umbrellas with security men patrolling to ensure that the boaters didn’t stop off and invade us! Outside the Yurt in the grassy level massive green and white striped day beds. It wasn’t quite warm enough to strip off to sunbath, but the opportunity was there to lay down in your coat and hat and get a few rays! I surreptitiously took a few photos on my phone, but L said he’d kill me if I posted them! To protect the privacy of the guests he said! Ah well. I can look at them in the privacy of my own home. 


Now I need to wait for the bank holiday to be over, before I can contact anyone. Thankfully, we’re with BUPA. I need to check out the oncologists to see who will and can help us....but today was a good day!


Onwards! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyber bullying? Where do we go?

I watched something quite awful unfold on Twitter last week, and I began to wonder whether we are being a little bit too open about our personal lives?  I have nothing to hide about my personal life (except my identity!), and  my personal details are there for all to see. There are "crazies" out there, that we can be sure of, but I never expected to see such vitriolic abuse targeted at one individual. To cut a long story short, an individual, for reasons of their own decided to target a particular lady who had been campaigning and raising awareness for different charitable groups.  This lady had been open and honest and had suffered her own personal tragedy, but for some reason " the crazy" had decided that she was a charlatan.  Over a period of a week her "friends" had become the subject of a barrage mad tweets and saw the lady being reduced to a  quivering wreck and trying to explain to friends what had happened in a very moving audio boo .  Subsequent

My au-pair's a dustman...well she's not really... she's a ho!

My au pair Miriam , is a beautiful sultry girl from the Slovak Republic or Slovakia as it is most commonly known. Most of the girls that have lived with us either come from Slovakia or the Czech Republic.  I've chosen them in particular because they have the "family values" that I want for my family.  I know that I can't tar everyone with the same brush, it's just that it has worked for me. However...Miriam is the exception to the rule.  Miriam is sensual; Miriam languishes; she loves burning candles and incense sticks. She loves long, bubbly baths with big fluffy towels.  Miriam walks the dogs in stilettos (how?), and loves my red lipstick (on her!) Miriam loves MTV.  Miriam loves raiding my wardrobe, and Miriam loves men...all men! As was usual for a Sunday early evening we had all settled down to watch a movie. Mimi was in bed and the boys were snuggled up on the sofa with BH.  Ben , (22 and stunning!), was on the other sofa, with his laptop researching with